Sunday, September 11, 2022

Werewolf By Night Announcement

Yesterday Disney held their D23 conference, which is where they announce all of their upcoming movies and TV shows for all of their respective studios. They announced a TON of cool and exciting stuff that's coming up in the next few years but there was one announcement in particular that caught my attention.


Werewolf By Night is the name of this TV special movie and it was THE announcement that got me the most excited out of all of them. This show looks like the antithesis of everything that Marvel has done over the past decade or so since starting the MCU.

Showing actual blood a gore?? Yep. going for a completely different style that makes Werewolf By Night unique compared to other Marvel projects?? Yep. USING PRACTICAL EFFECTS FOR THE FUCKING WEREWOLF?! yep, looks like it in the trailer.

This movie looks to be the best thing that Disney and Marvel have done all year long in my eyes and that's coming off of She-Hulk, a show which I thoroughly enjoy. One of the reasons for that is very simple: it's a werewolf movie. If you've seen my past posts, you'll know that I like a good werewolf movie...and Werewolf By Night looks to be a good one.

I like the fact that Marvel decided to not only go into what looked like the 18th or 19th century in that trailer, but they also put a black and white filter over the movie to give it that old-school feel of something that came out of the Universal Monster Movie or Hammer Horror days.

Now if you don't know what Werewolf By Night is, let me explain it to you. Werewolf By Night is a series of comic books first published by Marvel that ran from September of 1972 all the way to March of 1977. The series originally centered around a character by the name of Jack Russell (who is in the new TV Special) and before he could get this series of comics, Jack made his comic debut in Marvel Spotlight #2 which was published in February of 1972 as a test run and it lasted until Marvel Spotlight #4, then it got approved to be its own series after Marvel saw how popular it was.

Marvel may make a lot of decisions that make me scratch my head but this isn't one of them. I love the fact that they dove deep into the archives and decided to go all-in on Werewolf By Night. This is a series of comics that I didn't know existed until yesterday if I'm being completely honest, but it's on my radar now!

There is one thing that I'm concerned about though with Werewolf By Night...and that is whether or not the effects are going to be completely CGI or not. Don't get me wrong, I understand that CGI is easier to deal with than practical effects and that it's probably cheaper than practical effects BUT...CGI effects in my personal opinion, don't belong in anything to do with werewolves.

Look at films like An American Werewolf In Paris, Cursed, and even The Wolfman Remake from 2010. Those films all use CGI effects for things like the transformation sequences and whatnot, and they all look HORRIBLE as a result. Meanwhile, you have films like An American Werewolf In London, The Howling, Dog Soldiers, and Ginger Snaps that look like they haven't aged a day even though in cases like The Howling and An American Werewolf In London, those movies have been out for 41 years now.

So as long as Disney doesn't use CGI effects, I think it'll be an AWESOME TV Special and I can't wait until October 7th when it comes out! Are you excited for Werewolf by night? Do you agree with my opinion on the use of CGI? Let me know in the comments below!

I hope you enjoyed this issue, and I hope to see you in the next one.


0 comments:

Post a Comment